New York Times not to sell Boston Globe
Washington: The New York Times announced that it has scrapped plans to sell The Boston Globe, which it was earlier trying to dispose off due to deep financial crisis, after significant improvement in its revenue.
NYT Co Chairman Arthur O Sulzberger Jr and chief executive Janet Robinson in a memo sent to its employees said the Globe`s finances had improved after aggressive cost cuttings in recent months.
Prominent among these included new union contracts that saved USD 20 million, cuts in management compensation, and consolidation of printing plants. The Globe also increased revenue by significantly raising the price of newsstand and home delivery copies of the paper.
"With these strategic steps, the Globe is on track to achieve substantial savings and is on a path to a more secure financial future," Sulzberger and Robinson wrote yesterday.
"We know this has been a long and painful process, and we deeply appreciate the focus and dedication that you have all displayed over the past several months," they wrote.
The New York Times had put 137-year-old The Boston Globe – one of the prestigious and popular news papers in the US – on the market early this year as it went into a deep financial crisis. It even had to raise money from its new building in mid-town Manhattan, New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow