Newcastle swoop to sign Man United winger Obertan
London: Newcastle United have signed French winger Gabriel Obertan on a five-year deal from Premier League champions Manchester United, the north-east club said on their website on Tuesday.
"His best years are ahead of him which is exactly what we want at this club and with the backing of our magnificent fans I`m sure he will prove an excellent signing for us," Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said in a statement.
Obertan, 22, struggled to make an impact at Old Trafford after joining from French Ligue 1 side Girondins Bordeaux in 2009, making only 15 appearances last season.
The former French under-21 international said he was looking forward to playing more regularly at Newcastle.
"I spent two good years in Manchester but it was a bit difficult with the competition and I really needed a club where I could play more games," Obertan said.
"I know it won`t be easy to play each game here because there`s a good group, but I want a fresh start in my football."
Obertan will go straight into Newcastle`s squad for Saturday`s opening league match at home to Arsenal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP