Newcastle swoop to sign Man United winger Obertan
London: Newcastle United have signed French winger Gabriel Obertan on a five-year deal from Premier League champions Manchester United, the north-east club said on their website on Tuesday.
"His best years are ahead of him which is exactly what we want at this club and with the backing of our magnificent fans I`m sure he will prove an excellent signing for us," Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said in a statement.
Obertan, 22, struggled to make an impact at Old Trafford after joining from French Ligue 1 side Girondins Bordeaux in 2009, making only 15 appearances last season.
The former French under-21 international said he was looking forward to playing more regularly at Newcastle.
"I spent two good years in Manchester but it was a bit difficult with the competition and I really needed a club where I could play more games," Obertan said.
"I know it won`t be easy to play each game here because there`s a good group, but I want a fresh start in my football."
Obertan will go straight into Newcastle`s squad for Saturday`s opening league match at home to Arsenal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda