Newcastle United clinch league title
London: Newcastle United, already assured of a place back in the Premier League next season, clinched the Championship (second division) title with a 2-0 win at Plymouth Argyle.
First-half goals from Andy Carroll and Wayne Routledge gave Newcastle, relegated from the top flight last season, the win which secured the crown with two games left to cap a dominant season which has seen them lose four times and accrue 98 points.
The victory also consigned Plymouth to relegation and a place in League One next season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days