Newcastle United clinch league title
London: Newcastle United, already assured of a place back in the Premier League next season, clinched the Championship (second division) title with a 2-0 win at Plymouth Argyle.
First-half goals from Andy Carroll and Wayne Routledge gave Newcastle, relegated from the top flight last season, the win which secured the crown with two games left to cap a dominant season which has seen them lose four times and accrue 98 points.
The victory also consigned Plymouth to relegation and a place in League One next season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him