News Corp plans shakeup of Star Asian TV: Report
London: News Corporation is planning a sweeping shakeup of its Star Asian television operations, including a sharp cut in jobs in Hong Kong and the rest of the region, a media report said Friday.
James Murdoch, head of News Corp`s Asian and European operations, will head the shakeup as the group aims to cut costs and consolidate overlapping operations, the newspaper said, citing unnamed sources.
Star`s Indian operation, which generates the most profits for the group in Asia and reports to Hong Kong, will become independent and start reporting directly to James Murdoch.
News Corp aims to eliminate overlap between Star, which operates 60 channels in 13 languages and is distributed in 53 Asian countries, and Fox International channels which distributes the cable networks FX, National Geographic and other channels in the region.
The plans, yet to be finalised, are part of News Corp`s global rethinking of its business at a time when media consumption is moving online, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh
- Pakistan celebrate 'incredible journey' to No.1 in Test Cricket after 7 years
- UN confirms six of nine Dawood Ibrahim addresses, provided by India, in Pakistan
- Turkish military returns fire in Syria after shells hit border town: Report
- North Korea rolls out on-demand TV service