Newspaper sales highest in India, China & Japan
Hyderabad: The newspaper sales in India,
China and Japan, at 60 per cent in terms of circulation, are
highest in the world.
Timothy Balding, Co CEO, World Association of Newspapers
and News Publishers (WAN-IFRA), said this while addressing a
session on `World trends in the Newspaper Industry` at the
ongoing 62nd World Newspaper Congress being held at the HICC
Even though the newspaper circulations are up by 1.3 per
cent in 2009 and has risen by nine per cent in the past five
years, the circulation in the US has declined to 14 per cent.
The industry is faced with the brunt of global recession
-- which has hit the US, the world`s largest print and digital
advertising market, hard, he said.
"Based on the data of third quarter in 2009, the
Newspaper Association of America (NAA) reported that there is
a drop of 28.95 per cent in print advertising revenues and
about 17 per cent drop in digital newspaper advertisement
revenues," Balding said.
He said there are 612 copies of newspapers for every
thousand people in Japan, while the figure is 142 copies in
India. In terms of reach, 91 per cent of Japanese continue to
read a newspaper daily which he said as a remarkable figure in
such a technologically advanced and wired society.
According to a survey, the newspaper circulations
increased in about 100 countries of the world. "Globally 1.9
billion people choose to read a paid newspaper everyday and
its reach is 34 per cent of the total global population while
24 per cent use the Internet," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand