Next 12-18 months difficult for Tata Steel
Mumbai: Tata Group patriarch Ratan Tata
has said the next 12-18 months would likely be "difficult and
challenging" for Tata Steel, but hopes that it would come out
stronger from the difficult period to become a more cost-
effective manufacturer of the alloy.
"The past year and probably the next 12-18 months are
likely to be difficult and challenging for Tata Steel," he
wrote in a letter dated May 31 to the shareholders in the
company`s annual report.
Tata said the effects of the global economic downturn
seriously impacted the company`s global operations in the
second half of the last fiscal.
"The demand for steel declined by 26 percent in UK
and Europe in the third quarter compared to a year earlier,
and after a further contraction in the fourth quarter, demand
had fallen by 57 percent in UK and 44 percent in Europe
compared with a year ago."
Indian operations witnessed a less pronounced drop in
demand of 11 percent in the third quarter, reflecting the
reduced activity in infrastructure and commercial vehicles,
Tata Steel, he said, has taken aggressive steps to
meet the challenges of these difficult times through major
initiatives in cost reduction, process improvement and
Tata Steel would need to make substantial investment in
a phased manner to secure raw material from its overseas
mines, it said, adding that the company was also evaluating
several other mineral projects in Brazil and Australia.
Tata Steel India is self-sufficient in iron ore and
with regard to coking coal, the company is self-sufficient to
the extent of 52 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport