Next fiscal right time for stimulus withdrawal: PMEAC
New Delhi: The "most appropriate" timing for a gradual rollback of the fiscal stimulus package would be the next financial year, Chairman of the Prime Minister`s Economic Advisory Council C Rangarajan said on Wednesday.
"It will be a calibrated one and I think the process can be started next year," Rangarajan told reporters on the sidelines of the Skoch Summit--a meeting of financial leaders-- here.
He said, however, the roll-back of tax incentives would
also depend on the way the economy evolves.
Rangarajan said with expectations of a normal monsoon,
the economy is likely to grow by 7-8 percent in the next
The GDP grew by 6.1 percent in the first quarter of
2009-10 and the year may end with 6.5 percent.
On monetary policy, he said if inflationary pressure
builds up, the RBI may begin tightening rates even earlier.
"If the inflationary pressure develops, then authorities
(RBI) may take action even earlier... RBI will have to wait
and see how price situation evolves during the period of
November-December," former RBI governor said.
Inflation, which was at 0.1 percent for the week ended
October 24, is expected to rise to around 5 percent by March
next year while food inflation is already hovering around 15
percent, burning a hole in the pocket of the common man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- PM Modi can get me killed; 'daman chakra' unleashed against AAP: Kejriwal
- Honoured to help create an image for Indian Railways: Ritu Beri
- Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah being trolled on Twitter for talking about son's ill health – Know details
- Indian Test skipper Virat Kohli captures his hard work on instagram! WATCH VIDEO
- Paper trays coated with silver capable of extending shelf-life of eggs: Research