Next fiscal right time for stimulus withdrawal: PMEAC
New Delhi: The "most appropriate" timing for a gradual rollback of the fiscal stimulus package would be the next financial year, Chairman of the Prime Minister`s Economic Advisory Council C Rangarajan said on Wednesday.
"It will be a calibrated one and I think the process can be started next year," Rangarajan told reporters on the sidelines of the Skoch Summit--a meeting of financial leaders-- here.
He said, however, the roll-back of tax incentives would
also depend on the way the economy evolves.
Rangarajan said with expectations of a normal monsoon,
the economy is likely to grow by 7-8 percent in the next
The GDP grew by 6.1 percent in the first quarter of
2009-10 and the year may end with 6.5 percent.
On monetary policy, he said if inflationary pressure
builds up, the RBI may begin tightening rates even earlier.
"If the inflationary pressure develops, then authorities
(RBI) may take action even earlier... RBI will have to wait
and see how price situation evolves during the period of
November-December," former RBI governor said.
Inflation, which was at 0.1 percent for the week ended
October 24, is expected to rise to around 5 percent by March
next year while food inflation is already hovering around 15
percent, burning a hole in the pocket of the common man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog