NHPC lists at a premium of 8% on BSE, raises Rs 6,037 cr
Mumbai: NHPC, the first public sector firm to hit the bourses on Tuesday received warm response, listing at a premium of eight per cent over its issue price on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
"The company raised Rs 6,037 crore by offloading 10 percent equity shares to the public," NHPC Ltd Director Finance A B L Srivastava told reporters here after the listing ceremony.
"Of this, we will use Rs 4,000 crore for project operations and the remaining will go to the government (for divestment of its stake)," he added.
Within minutes the scrip surged 10.42 percent to a high of Rs 39.75 on the BSE. About 168 crore shares, which included five percent government stake and fresh equity of 10 percent changed hands on the bourses.
On the National Stock Exchange, the NHPC listed with 17 percent gain at Rs 42.
Enthused by the response, company chairman and managing Director S K Garg said, the first leading public sector unit after the UPA`s second consecutive win, was subscribed 23.73 times.
The IPO proceeds would be used to part finance construction and development of projects like Subansiri Lower, Uri-II, Chamera-III and Parbati-III.
"We have planned to generate almost 17,200 million units in 2009-10. One project in Jammu and Kashmir of 120 MW is going to be commissioned in the month of December-January this year," Garg said.
NHPC has an installed capacity of 4,815 MW and currently has 11 projects under construction accounting for a total capacity of 4,622 MW.
The company`s power stations and hydro-power projects are predominantly located in the North and North-East of India, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Sikkim and West Bengal.
It is awaiting Government sanction for a further five projects with an anticipated capacity of 4,565 MW.
The company clocked a net profit of Rs 1,075-crore in FY 09, Garg said, adding NHPC "will perform better in 2009-10 than last year, both in terms of revenue and net profit".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27