NHPC makes dud debut; settles with 2% gain
Mumbai: State-run hydro power generator NHPC,
on Tuesday made a disappointing debut on the bourses and settled with just two per cent gain over its issue price on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
The NHPC shares settled at Rs 36.70, just 70 paise or
1.94 per cent above its issue price of Rs 36 on the BSE.
"The overall weakness in the market due to global cues
cast a shadow on the listing of NHPC. Moreover, the price of
the scrip is not under-valued so there was no rush of
investors trying to enter at low levels," Bonanza Portfolio
Assistant Vice President Research Avinash Gupta said.
The scrip surged to an intra-day high of Rs 39.75, up
10.42 per cent over its issue price of Rs 36 within minutes
of opening trade.
The overall weakness in the broader market and the lack
of investor interest led NHPC to lose ground and it plunged to
an intra-day low of Rs 36.60.
"It (NHPC) is a long term investment and has nothing for
the short term so it is not likely to surge very much in the
first couple of months of the debut," Gupta added.
On the National Stock Exchange, the scrip settled with
2.08 per cent gain at Rs 36.75, after touching an intra-day
high of Rs 42.
Despite the disappointing debut, the scrip remained one of the top traded counters with over 70.23 crore shares
changing hands on both the bourses.
The BSE benchmark index Sensex today dropped 115 points
to settle at 15,551.
The company has listed over 1,230 crore shares on the
NHPC, which came out with an initial public offer (IPO)
last month raised over Rs 6,000 crore after getting subscribed
nearly 24 times.
It marks the second biggest public offering in the
country`s history after Reliance Power.
The company would use the IPO proceeds to part fund its
ongoing investments for 11 projects, which are at different
stages. It also plans to add 14,000 MW power by 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead