NHPC makes dud debut; settles with 2% gain
Mumbai: State-run hydro power generator NHPC,
on Tuesday made a disappointing debut on the bourses and settled with just two per cent gain over its issue price on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
The NHPC shares settled at Rs 36.70, just 70 paise or
1.94 per cent above its issue price of Rs 36 on the BSE.
"The overall weakness in the market due to global cues
cast a shadow on the listing of NHPC. Moreover, the price of
the scrip is not under-valued so there was no rush of
investors trying to enter at low levels," Bonanza Portfolio
Assistant Vice President Research Avinash Gupta said.
The scrip surged to an intra-day high of Rs 39.75, up
10.42 per cent over its issue price of Rs 36 within minutes
of opening trade.
The overall weakness in the broader market and the lack
of investor interest led NHPC to lose ground and it plunged to
an intra-day low of Rs 36.60.
"It (NHPC) is a long term investment and has nothing for
the short term so it is not likely to surge very much in the
first couple of months of the debut," Gupta added.
On the National Stock Exchange, the scrip settled with
2.08 per cent gain at Rs 36.75, after touching an intra-day
high of Rs 42.
Despite the disappointing debut, the scrip remained one of the top traded counters with over 70.23 crore shares
changing hands on both the bourses.
The BSE benchmark index Sensex today dropped 115 points
to settle at 15,551.
The company has listed over 1,230 crore shares on the
NHPC, which came out with an initial public offer (IPO)
last month raised over Rs 6,000 crore after getting subscribed
nearly 24 times.
It marks the second biggest public offering in the
country`s history after Reliance Power.
The company would use the IPO proceeds to part fund its
ongoing investments for 11 projects, which are at different
stages. It also plans to add 14,000 MW power by 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared