NIA denies rift with Mumbai ATS over blasts probe
New Delhi: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Tuesday denied any rift with the Mumbai Police and the Maharashtra ATS over the July 13 serial blasts probe, saying the reports about such a tiff are mis-founded.
In a statement, the NIA said it was continuing to assist the Mumbai Police and ATS in the blasts probe.
On the question of its officers coming back to Delhi from Mumbai, the agency said it was not possible for its officials to stay put in the blast-hit city all the time.
Earlier this morning, a leading daily had published a report saying the NIA has pulled out of the Mumbai blasts investigation.
According to the report, members of the NIA team which rushed to the financial capital immediately after the blasts had come back to Delhi, including Director General SC Sinha. The reason cited, by sources, was “lack of coordination” with Mumbai Police sleuths.
The NIA had been specifically asked to assist the Mumbai Police Crime Branch and state Anti-Terrorism Squad in investigating the latest attack.
Reports said the NIA team and ATS officials even had verbal spats. The ATS went to the extent of complaining that the NIA was not equipped to handle the case alone, the newspaper reported.
While denying any rift, Additional Director General of NIA Prakash Mishra had told the newspaper: “The team that went to Mumbai is back, but we are extending cooperation to the Mumbai ATS.”
NIA was specifically set up after 26/11 to ensure better coordination with state investigating agencies in probing terror attacks. And the July 13 blasts probe was the first time the NIA was assisting a state police since the beginning of a case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch