NIA grills accused in fake currency note racket
Puducherry: Investigation in the fake currency
note racket has gained momentum with an inspector of the
National Investigation Agency interrogating a man arrested on
charges of circulating fake Indian currency notes here.
The NIA police official from Hyderabad interrogated
Mohammed Ismail, hailing from Jharkhand, at Orleanpet police
station for four hours from 10 pm yesterday, Superintendent of
Police (CID-wing) Ravindran said on Wednesday.
A four-member police team from Puducherry would leave for
Jharkhand in a day or two to trace the four accomplices of
Ismail and to collect other details related to the crime.
One of the absconding accused Jamedhar Sheik has been
traced to Jharkhand, police said.
Ismail was arrested on January 19 on a tip-off by a fruit
Police said Ismail gave a Rs 1,000 note for the fruits
purchased by him but the shop owner became suspicious of its
genuineness and informed police, which seized counterfeit
notes in Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denomination from his possession.
Police had sought help of the National Investigation
Agency to question Ismail as they suspect a "big conspiracy"
with international ramifications.
Fake notes with face value of Rs 2 lakh had been seized
from a lodge where the gang had been staying in Puducherry.
A local court had sent Ismail to five-day police custody on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow