NIA grills accused in fake currency note racket
Puducherry: Investigation in the fake currency
note racket has gained momentum with an inspector of the
National Investigation Agency interrogating a man arrested on
charges of circulating fake Indian currency notes here.
The NIA police official from Hyderabad interrogated
Mohammed Ismail, hailing from Jharkhand, at Orleanpet police
station for four hours from 10 pm yesterday, Superintendent of
Police (CID-wing) Ravindran said on Wednesday.
A four-member police team from Puducherry would leave for
Jharkhand in a day or two to trace the four accomplices of
Ismail and to collect other details related to the crime.
One of the absconding accused Jamedhar Sheik has been
traced to Jharkhand, police said.
Ismail was arrested on January 19 on a tip-off by a fruit
Police said Ismail gave a Rs 1,000 note for the fruits
purchased by him but the shop owner became suspicious of its
genuineness and informed police, which seized counterfeit
notes in Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denomination from his possession.
Police had sought help of the National Investigation
Agency to question Ismail as they suspect a "big conspiracy"
with international ramifications.
Fake notes with face value of Rs 2 lakh had been seized
from a lodge where the gang had been staying in Puducherry.
A local court had sent Ismail to five-day police custody on
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata