NIA grills accused in fake currency note racket
Puducherry: Investigation in the fake currency
note racket has gained momentum with an inspector of the
National Investigation Agency interrogating a man arrested on
charges of circulating fake Indian currency notes here.
The NIA police official from Hyderabad interrogated
Mohammed Ismail, hailing from Jharkhand, at Orleanpet police
station for four hours from 10 pm yesterday, Superintendent of
Police (CID-wing) Ravindran said on Wednesday.
A four-member police team from Puducherry would leave for
Jharkhand in a day or two to trace the four accomplices of
Ismail and to collect other details related to the crime.
One of the absconding accused Jamedhar Sheik has been
traced to Jharkhand, police said.
Ismail was arrested on January 19 on a tip-off by a fruit
Police said Ismail gave a Rs 1,000 note for the fruits
purchased by him but the shop owner became suspicious of its
genuineness and informed police, which seized counterfeit
notes in Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denomination from his possession.
Police had sought help of the National Investigation
Agency to question Ismail as they suspect a "big conspiracy"
with international ramifications.
Fake notes with face value of Rs 2 lakh had been seized
from a lodge where the gang had been staying in Puducherry.
A local court had sent Ismail to five-day police custody on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America