Nifty ends highs by 10 pts, retreats from 5200 mark
Mumbai: Paring its intra-day gains, the National Stock Exchange benchmark Nifty ended marginally higher by 9.55 points, amid hectic profit booking towards the fag-end of the of the day.
Resuming on a positive note after a four day break, the key indices soon crossed the psychological 5200-mark to hit an intra-day high of 5,214.60 in mid-morning trade.
The 50-share Nifty, which had opened at 5,180.75, closed at 5,187.95, a marginal rise of 9.55 points, or 0.18 per cent, over its last close.
Investors and traders preferring to take out profits at higher levels ahead of December F&O expiry mainly triggered the volatility, traders said.
Banking, commodity and power stocks witnessed brisk buying in today`s trade. While IT counters encountered heavy sell-off.
From the Nifty pack, R Power spurted 4.80 per cent, Suzlon 2.89 per cent, Rel Infra 2.64 per cent, Hindalco 2.43 per cent and Icici bank 1.77 per cent. However, Cipla fell 2.89 per cent, Sunpharma 2.12 per cent, Wipro 1.92 per cent, Dlf 1.66 per cent and Ongc 1.33 per cent.
Turnover in cash declined to Rs 11,502.03 crore from Rs 13,554.58 crore on Thursday. A total of 6139.75 lakh shares changed hands in 53,00,767 trades. The market capitalisation was at Rs 56,70,550 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in