Nikolai gets 3 months extension; AFI wants him till London
New Delhi: The Athletics Federation of India has asked the government to keep long-distance running coach Nikolai Snesarev till the 2012 London Olympics after the Belarussian’s contract was extended for three months only by the Sports Authority of India.
Nikolai’s contract ended on November 30 and SAI has already extended it for another three months despite the coach having expressed his desire for a stint till London Olympics.
Sources told that AFI officials on Friday asked the Sports Ministry to renew the contracts of Nikolai and four other foreign coaches till London Olympics to ensure continuity in the preparations of the athletes who have produced stupendous performances in the Commonwealth Games and the just-concluded Asian Games.
“The AFI officials have recommended the name of four coaches, including that of Nikolai, to give them contracts till London Olympics. As the Olympics are just one and half year away they wanted continuity in the preparations for the London Olympics where India are aiming to do well in athletics,” a source said.
“The AFI officials want the rising profile of athletics to continue following the good performances in CWG and Asian Games,” he added.
Besides Nikolai, other foreign coaches whose names have been recommended for new contracts were Dmitry Buldov, Iurri Ogorodnik and Alexander Krasilinikov.
The AFI has also asked SAI for the recruitment of seven other new foreign coaches while deciding to recommend to relieve the services of some foreign coaches, including Arnold Stasiuk.
“The AFI officials have asked for new foreign coaches for shot put, discus throw, high jump, javelin and combined events (heptathlon and decathlon),” the source said.
India could not win any medal in the seven events in the just-concluded Asian Games in Guangzhou, China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'