Nine athletes flunk dope tests in National Games
New Delhi: The doping menace continued to haunt Indian sports with the NADA on Thursday announcing that nine athletes tested positive for banned substances during the National Games which ended in Ranchi on February 26.
NADA Director General Rahul Bhatnagar said the `A` urine samples of nine athletes, including three from track and field, have flunked dope tests with seven caught for using stimulant methylhexaneamine and one for anabolic steroid stanozolol.
"A total of 308 samples pertaining to all disciplines were collected as per the Test Distribution Plan prepared by NADA and IOA. Results of about 200 samples tested at National Dope Testing Laboratory have been received and nine A samples
have been reported by NDTL to be positive," Bhatnagar said during the monthly press conference of Sports Minister Ajay Maken.
"Out of the nine, three are from athletics, two from rowing and one each from equestrian, taekwondo, basketball and cycling. We have initiated action under anti-doping rules of NADA. We will now test the `B` samples of the tainted athletes
and will communicate the respective federations after the NADA panel decides on the sanctions on them," Bhatnagar said.
He said two track and field athletes, two rowers, the taekwondo player, the cyclist and the basketball player tested positive for methylhexaneamine. The third track and field athlete and the equestrian players tested positive for anabolic steroid stanozolol and sabutamol-beta-2 respectively.
Bhatnagar said some of the athletes could be stripped off their medals as 90 per cent of the 308 samples taken during the February 12-26 National Games were all of medal winners.
"There were 34 disciplines in the National Games and about 6500 athletes participated. 90 per cent of urine samples were from medal winners. There are chances that some of offenders could be medal winners and in such a case the NADA panel will decide if their medals are to be stripped off," Bhatnagar said, adding that the results of remaining 100 samples will come out soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read