Nine-man India lose 0-3 to UAE in WC qualifier
Abu Dhabi: India suffered a 0-3 defeat at the hands of United Arab Emirates in a World Cup football second round qualifying match which was marred by two Indians being ejected early on at Al Ain.
Defender Debabrata Roy and goalkeeper Subrata Paul were red carded in the 21st and 24th minutes as India were left with just nine men for more than an hour in the match at Sheikh Khlaifa Bin Zayed Stadium.
Hamdan Al Kamali and Ismail Al Hammadi converted the spot kicks which resulted from the infringements by Roy and Paul in the 21st and 24th minutes. Ismail Al Hammadi added another goal in the 80th minute to complete the tally.
After the 0-3 loss today, it will now be a huge task for India to progress to the next round as they need to beat UAE by a bigger margin in New Delhi in the return leg on July 28. Roy and Paul, India`s number one goalkeeper, will have to sit out of that match at Ambedkar Stadium.
The match finished even before it started and India failed to recover from the two-man as well as two-goal deficit in the span of three minutes.
Roy was red-carded for pushing Mohammed Al Shhehi while Paul was given the marching orders for an infringement on Ismail Al Hammadi.
Down to nine-men, India had little options but to defend. Coach Armando Colaco, quite helpless, replaced Steven Dias with goalkeeper Karanjit Singh and striker Sunil Chhetri fell back in an effort to crowd the midfield with Jeje Lalpekhlua staying upfront, almost a spectator all throughout.
The start, nevertheless, was promising. India earned two corners in the fifth minute and rival goalkeeper Ali Khaseif even missed the flight of Dias` second corner. The midfield was not allowing much space to the rivals and Gourmangi Singh and Raju Gaikwad looked composed at the defence.
The Indians need to be credited for not allowing UAE to run away with the match. India let in just one goal after they were down to nine-men by the 24th minute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!