Nitish renews demand for `special status` to Bihar
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday
accused the Centre of neglecting a "backward and cash-
strapped" Bihar and said his government will continue its
fight for securing `special status` to the state.
"It is highly unfortunate that the Centre has ignored the
state`s interests and neglected a backward and cash-strapped
state like Bihar," Kumar told reporters before leaving for
undertaking an aerial survey of flood-hit districts like
Sheohar and Sitamarhi.
Asserting that the state government will continue its
fight for securing special state category to Bihar, Kumar
said, it was unfortunate that despite the Congress leaders
assured of conceding the demand at the time of Lok Sabha
polls, they were "maintaining silence" over the issue.
He said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had also assured an
all-party delegation members which had called on him in New
Delhi recently, of doing the needful, but the demand was yet
to be met even after 100 days of formation of UPA government.
"It is the duty of the Centre to protect the backward
states and dream of ensuring inclusive growth in India won`t
turn into a reality unless steps are taken for development of
such states," Kumar said.
He insisted that Bihar deserves special treatment as it
fulfilled all the criteria required for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof