Nitish renews demand for `special status` to Bihar
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday
accused the Centre of neglecting a "backward and cash-
strapped" Bihar and said his government will continue its
fight for securing `special status` to the state.
"It is highly unfortunate that the Centre has ignored the
state`s interests and neglected a backward and cash-strapped
state like Bihar," Kumar told reporters before leaving for
undertaking an aerial survey of flood-hit districts like
Sheohar and Sitamarhi.
Asserting that the state government will continue its
fight for securing special state category to Bihar, Kumar
said, it was unfortunate that despite the Congress leaders
assured of conceding the demand at the time of Lok Sabha
polls, they were "maintaining silence" over the issue.
He said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had also assured an
all-party delegation members which had called on him in New
Delhi recently, of doing the needful, but the demand was yet
to be met even after 100 days of formation of UPA government.
"It is the duty of the Centre to protect the backward
states and dream of ensuring inclusive growth in India won`t
turn into a reality unless steps are taken for development of
such states," Kumar said.
He insisted that Bihar deserves special treatment as it
fulfilled all the criteria required for it.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way