No breach of deadlines in CWG stadia: Patil
Kancheepuram: Union Minister of State for Youth affairs and Sports Pratik Prakashbapu Patil said there was no breach of deadlines in the completion of stadia facilities for conduct of the upcoming Commonwealth Games.
Disputing allegations that construction work of the stadiums has not been completed within the deadline, he said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was satisfied that "everything was ready".
"The delays are only in some overlays and some roads leading to the stadiums. But there is no problem with equipment and infrastructure," Patil said.
"Why not have the spirits up?" he shot back when asked about reports that participation of top foreign athletes in the Games would be very dismal.”
He said it was foreseen that some countries would hesitate to take part in the Games because of security reasons.
"But efforts are on to rev up enthusiasm. There would be a meeting of External Affairs ministers of Commonwealth countries in October where this would be brought up as an agenda. Greater participation would be ensured through their help," Patil said.
He also asked the media not to play up mistakes but try and build up the spirit of the Games so that the nation participates in the mega-event with pride.
He also said serious efforts are being made to bring sports into rural areas through government sponsored `PYKA` schemes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know