No change in outlook for high-flying Wozniacki
London: Caroline Wozniacki has stuck with the same clear-cut expectations for this year, despite having surprised herself with an extraordinary run of success last year.
The Danish teenager climbed to a career-high second in the WTA rankings on Monday, after losing the Indian Wells final the day before, but her goals for 2010 are identical to those for 2009.
"My outlook is no different," Wozniacki, 19, told Reuters. "Every time I step on the court I want to win. I hate losing. It doesn`t matter who I`m playing against.”
"I just have to believe that I can do it and I know that if I keep working hard, the results will come. I do my best to win and to become a better player. That`s my only expectation."
The Dane, a six-times winner on the WTA circuit who is known for her tenacity and elegant groundstrokes, was crushed 6-2 6-4 by Serbian Jelena Jankovic in Sunday`s final, a defeat that left her with a bitter after-taste.
Overall, though, Wozniacki was delighted with her form at an elite tournament in the California desert where she reached the final as the second seed.
"I`ve been playing some good tennis," she said in an interview arranged by the WTA Sony Ericsson Tour. "Obviously it`s very disappointing when you lose, but I will be okay. I had 10 great days and I just need a bit more time.”
"My season so far has been pretty good and hopefully I can just continue playing well and developing."
Last year was a breakthrough season for the fashion-conscious Dane as she won three WTA titles and reached her first grand slam final.
Asked whether she was taken aback by the level of success she had achieved so swiftly, Wozniacki replied: "Yes and no. I`ve been working hard for a long time and I felt I was playing well.
"It`s always good when the results come but I didn`t expect being in a grand slam final already.”
"That was a great thing for me."
Wozniacki, who wears tennis dresses designed by Stella McCartney, became the first Dane to make a grand slam final since 1955 before losing to former world number one Kim Clijsters of Belgium at the US Open.
She won WTA titles at Ponte Vedra Beach, Eastbourne and New Haven and reached four other finals before ending the year a career-high fourth in the rankings.
Fast forward to this week, Wozniacki is headed by only American Serena Williams in her quest to become world number one.
"I`m hungry to get to that top spot," she said.
"That`s what everyone else dreams about and hopefully it will happen for me one day. I just keep looking forward but I am closer to number one."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday