`No fiasco` on S-band spectrum deal: Kasturirangan
Coimbatore: The former ISRO chief Saturday said there has been `no fiasco` on the S-band spectrum deal between the space agency`s commercial arm Antrix Corporation and a private company and accused the media of communicating the issue to the public without properly analysing it.
"All I can say is there is no fiasco. Many things happening in the country, success or fiasco, is media created.
The media have not properly analysed the S-band spectrum deal or properly communicated it to the public," former ISRO chairman K Kasturirangan said here.
Refusing to elaborate, he said the government is seized of the matter and everything that is going on in the organisation.
Kasturirangan, a Planning Commission member was on a visit to Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in the city.
On ISRO`s future missions, he said ISRO planned eight to 12 missions in the next two to three years and added that "the continuing sucess in these missions would justify ISRO`s capability and reassert its importance".
On February 17, the government had scrapped the S-band spectrum deal between Antrix and Devas Multimedia on grounds of strategic interest and said it was prepared to face legal consequences.
The Cabinet Committee on Security annulled the contract Antrix had entered into with Devas Multimedia in Jan 2005, under which it was to lease out 90 per cent transponders on two of ISRO`s satellites GSAT-6 and GSAT-6A.
Under the agreement, Devas was to lease transponder capacity from the two satellites at a cost of about Rs 1,350 crore over 12 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam