No independent monitoring for CWG: IOA
New Delhi: The Indian Olympic Association rejected Commonwealth Games Federation`s proposal to form an Independent Monitoring Panel for overseeing the 2010 Games preparations.
In a statement released by IOA stated that IOA does not subscribe to the idea mooted by Commonwealth Games Federation to form an Independent Monitoring Panel to overview the 2010 Delhi CWG preparation.
Wary of further slippages in the capital`s preparations, the Commonwealth Games Federation on October 12 had decided to form an Independent Monitoring Panel for the 2010 edition of the Games and bluntly reminded the Organising Committee that time was the "biggest enemy".
In a subtle message to the organisers, the CGF President Michael Fennell had said that an Independent Technical Panel will monitor the capital`s progress so that it meets all the new deadlines, though Delhi could still host a successful Games next year.
"I have no doubt that the 2010 Games can still be great Games, provided all corrective measures are taken and there is no further slippage," Fennell told reporters here.
He welcomed the decision to get more foreign experts on board but made it clear that the Organising Committee would be strictly monitored in their final year of preparation.
"The CGF Executive Board has decided to establish a high-level, independent, technical review panel, that will monitor the progress. This panel will comprise of Chairman and other members who will be experts in their field. They would give us monthly report on in an open, transparent fashion," said Fennell, who has been critical of the capital`s tardy preparation.
It was also decided that the Commonwealth Coordination Commission would also maintain its monitoring, he said.
"The Commission will continue its visit and they would come next on December 14 to address all key areas and all operational areas," Fennell said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi