No independent monitoring for CWG: IOA
New Delhi: The Indian Olympic Association rejected Commonwealth Games Federation`s proposal to form an Independent Monitoring Panel for overseeing the 2010 Games preparations.
In a statement released by IOA stated that IOA does not subscribe to the idea mooted by Commonwealth Games Federation to form an Independent Monitoring Panel to overview the 2010 Delhi CWG preparation.
Wary of further slippages in the capital`s preparations, the Commonwealth Games Federation on October 12 had decided to form an Independent Monitoring Panel for the 2010 edition of the Games and bluntly reminded the Organising Committee that time was the "biggest enemy".
In a subtle message to the organisers, the CGF President Michael Fennell had said that an Independent Technical Panel will monitor the capital`s progress so that it meets all the new deadlines, though Delhi could still host a successful Games next year.
"I have no doubt that the 2010 Games can still be great Games, provided all corrective measures are taken and there is no further slippage," Fennell told reporters here.
He welcomed the decision to get more foreign experts on board but made it clear that the Organising Committee would be strictly monitored in their final year of preparation.
"The CGF Executive Board has decided to establish a high-level, independent, technical review panel, that will monitor the progress. This panel will comprise of Chairman and other members who will be experts in their field. They would give us monthly report on in an open, transparent fashion," said Fennell, who has been critical of the capital`s tardy preparation.
It was also decided that the Commonwealth Coordination Commission would also maintain its monitoring, he said.
"The Commission will continue its visit and they would come next on December 14 to address all key areas and all operational areas," Fennell said.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative