`No lounging in Laos!` Malaysian delegation warned
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian athletes and officials at the Southeast Asian Games in Laos have been told by their government not to treat the competition as a holiday.
Malaysia`s Youth and Sports Minister Ahmad Shabery Cheek warned the delegation about breaches of discipline after a group of cyclists almost missed a flight to Vientiane.
"There should be no excuse for mistakes like missing the flight," Ahmad Shabery told the Bernama news agency. "The officials...are responsible to manage their respective teams. They are not here for a holiday."
The minister added: "We want officials and managers who can work, not picked because it is their turn to travel overseas for a holiday."
The SEA Games opened in Vientiane on Wednesday.
Malaysia traditionally battle it out on the medals table for regional supremacy with Indonesia and Thailand.
Brunei, Cambodia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, East Timor and Vietnam are also represented at the games, which run until Dec. 18.
As well as Olympic disciplines, sports include regional favourite sepak takraw, martial arts pencak-silat and muay as well as the French game petanque.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days