No nerves for Young on Man United debut in US
Manchester: Ashley Young said he already felt at home in a Manchester United jersey after making his debut in his new club`s 4-1 friendly win against New England Revolution.
The reigning English champions kicked off their pre-season tour of the United States with a straightforward win at Gillette Stadium on Wednesday.
Young, who arrived from Aston Villa last month for a fee of around £17 million (USD 27.4m), saw his new employers prevail through goals from Michael Owen and Park Ji-Sung and a Federico Macheda brace.
"No, there weren`t any nerves," Young told MUTV. "I`ve gone into the game as I normally do, playing the normal same way. I`ve done that again tonight (Wednesday). I wasn`t nervous at all.”
"It`s a pre-season game and about fitness and I`ll build on this. Of course, it`s always a nice feeling putting on a Manchester United shirt."
Owen put the visitors in front in the 50th minute, before a brace from Macheda put the game to bed.
Kenny Mansally pulled a goal back for the hosts but United restored their three-goal advantage with 10 minutes remaining, Park coolly lifting the ball over goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth from a Ryan Giggs pass.
Young, who has 15 England caps, played for 67 minutes in a right-wing position and is expected to compete with fellow wingers Nani and Antonio Valencia for a place in United`s starting XI.
He can also play as a central attacking midfielder, however, and United coach Sir Alex Ferguson said his versatility made him a valuable acquisition.
"(Right wing) was his position with Aston Villa until last season, when they started playing him in behind the strikers -- Gabriel Agbonlahor or Darren Bent -- in a more advanced role, like the way we use Wayne Rooney," said Ferguson.
"His capabilities are such that he can play wide left, he can play in behind the strikers and he can play wide right. He showed tonight he`s a fantastic crosser of the ball."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM