No plans to change NIF guidelines: Finmin
New Delhi: Ruling out any plans to restructure the National Investment Fund (NIF), the government on Friday said the proceeds from disinvestment of the NHPC and Oil India Limited (OIL) will be credited to the NIF.
"The process of initial public offerings in NHPC Limited and Oil India Limited are already in progress. The receipts from the disinvestment would be channelised into NIF", Minister of State for Finance S S Palanimanickam said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
The IPOs of the NHPC and OIL were expected to hit the capital market in August and September respectively, while the disinvestment of other PSUs would be decided on a case by case basis.
Asked whether the government was proposing to amend the NIF guidelines, the Minister in a separate reply said, "no".
Under the existing guidelines, the disinvestment proceeds are deposited in the NIF, which is managed by three public sector mutual funds -- UTI Asset Management Company, SBI Funds Management and LIC Mutual Fund Asset Management Company.
The NIF currently has a corpus of Rs 1,815 crore. It generated an income of Rs 85 crore in the first year, Palanimanickam said.
According to the guidelines, 75 percent of the income from the NIF is used for funding social sector schemes to promote education, health and employment, while the residual amount is invested in the PSUs, especially those which can be revived.
Answering a question on the government`s proposal to expedite disinvestment of PSUs, Palanimanickam said, "the policy of the government is to develop people-ownership of public sector undertakings while ensuring that government equity does not fall below 51 percent and the government retains management control of the company."
"The cases of disinvestment would be decided on a case by case basis," he added.
The Economic Survey, which was tabled in Parliament ahead of the budget, had suggested that government should look at raising Rs 25,000 crore every year from the sale of its equity in the public sector undertakings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says