No role to play in Ramdev`s decision: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Sunday came out with a guarded response to yoga guru Ramdev`s decision to call off his fast against corruption, saying it is "good news" but the party had played no role in the decision.
"It is good news that Ramdev has broken his fast," Congress general secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said here responding to the development.
Another party spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi, however, reacted cautiously to the development saying the decision to fast and call it off was Ramdev`s and "Congress has nothing to do with it...But it is good for his health. He should have listened to medical advice earlier."
Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari held that fasts have now become part of the problem than becoming a solution.
"The sacred instrument of protest should not be converted into an agent of destabilisation. Fasts have become a part of the problem rather than a part of solution," Tewari said.
He claimed that as India enters the third decade of liberalisation, "certain legacy issues need to be addressed in the spirit of constructive cooperation rather than becoming handy tools for unwarranted establishment bashing."
Ramdev was observing a fast for the past nine days to protest against corruption and black money issues.
After failure of talks with government, Congress had launched an attack on Ramdev and described him as a "mask" of the RSS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery