Non-Congress govts neglected UP: PM
Amroha: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday came down heavily on non-Congress parties saying their successive governments in Uttar Pradesh in the past 22 years had failed to develop the state`s infrastructure.
Despite huge funds provided by the Centre to the state,
"Uttar Pradesh now stands where it was 22 years ago", he told
an election rally at GIC ground here.
"The governments that ruled the state for the last 22
years have failed to develop UP," Singh said alleging the
central funds were misused by non-Congress dispensations.
In the last seven years, funds for development of the
state were increased six-fold, he said.
"We have provided funds and waived loans of farmers to
the tune of nearly Rs 7,000 crore but the role of the state
remains dubious," the Prime Minister said.
The Centre also provided Rs 9,500 crore to the state for
development of roads which were still in a bad shape, he said.
Talking about the sugar cane-rich western UP, the Prime
Minister alleged instead of developing small-scale industries,
the state government almost killed them.
"Instead of their revival, co-operative sugar mills were
sold by the UP government at throwaway prices," he said.
"We have given Rs 1,140 crore to the state government for
revival and development of the sugar industry," Singh said.
Fertilisers, meant for farmers, did not reach them, he
The Prime Minister also attacked the Mayawati government
saying "the law and order in the state is in a shambles."
Wooing Muslims, the Prime Minister said "we have chosen
90 Muslim-populated districts for special packages, and 21 of
them are in UP."
For safeguard of properties belonging to Waqf, a new Waqf
bill would be introduced in Parliament, he said.
Praising the rich Ganga-Jamuni culture of the district,
the Prime Minister said Amroha was the place from where former
Prime Minister and farmer leader Chaudhary Charan Singh
Charan Singh`s son Ajit Singh, who is RLD head, was
present at the election rally.
"Chaudhary Charan Singh rendered great service in rural
areas, and the country was indebted to him for this," Singh
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'