Not many buyout opportunities in India: Tata Steel
New Delhi: Asserting that the steel maker has substantial investment plans in India, Tata Steel has said, however, there are not many acquisition opportunities here.
Tata Steel`s Chief Financial Officer Koushik Chatterjee said India remains the base for the company`s future growth and substantial investment plans are currently being pursued.
"Meeting our growth goals through organic means in India, unfortunately, is not the fastest approach, especially for large capital projects, due to significant delays on various fronts," Chatterjee told the McKinsey Quarterly in an interview.
McKinsey Quarterly the business journal of global management consultancy McKinsey & Company.
"Nor are there many opportunities for growth through acquisitions in India, particularly in sectors like steel, where the value to be captured is limited — for example, in terms of technology, product profiles, the product mix, and good management," he noted.
Tata Steel snapped up Anglo-Dutch entity Corus for over USD 12 billion in 2007, creating one of the largest steel makers in the world.
About buyouts, Chatterjee said Tata Steel views acquisition more as a partnership.
"From a mindset perspective, we quite genuinely tend to look at an acquisition as a partnership rather than an acquisition... We don`t send plane loads of people into a new company. Instead, we only send in a few integrators. That`s been the key interface," he said.
Regarding the financial crisis impacting Tata Steel`s business, Chatterjee said Europe has been worst affected while the company is increasing production base for steel in India.
At Tata Steel Europe, there have been significant
Stressing that Indian mindset has "significant empathy", Chatterjee said, "the inclusiveness of the Indian mind set helps in building a global business".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof