Notification for sixth phase of UP polls issued
Lucknow: Notification for the sixth phase of Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections was on Thursday issued with which the nomination process also commenced.
The sixth phase would cover Assembly seats in the bastion of RLD-- western UP, besides testing the fate of several stalwarts, including cabinet ministers Ramveer Upadhyaya, Jaiveer Singh, deputy leader of BJP Hukkum Singh, and Rajveer
Singh, son of former Chief Minister Kalyan Singh.
Polling for the sixth phase of elections covering 68 seats spread over Saharanpur, Prabuddha Nagar, Muzaffarnagar, Meerut, Bagpath, Ghaziabad, Panchsheel Nagar, Gautam Buddha Bagar, Bulandshahar, Aligarh, Hathras, Mathura and Agra
districts would be held on February 28.
"More than 2.11 crore voters are expected to cast their votes at 21,317 polling booths where 23,448 electronic voting machines would be used," Election Commission sources said.
In the sixth phase, polling would be held in the western UP, considered to be stronghold of RLD. To give a youthful look to the party, RLD chief Ajit Singh has fielded his son and MP Jayant Chaudhary from Manth in Mathura.
Though cabinet minister Ramveer Upadhyaya would be contesting from Sikandrarau seat in Hathras, his prestige would also be at stake on Sadabad and Dibai seats from where his brother-in-law Satyendra Sharma and brother Vinod
Upadhyaya are in fray.
Ramveer is pitched against Rajveer Singh, son of Kalyan Singh, who commands respect of Lodha votes in the region.
Another cabinet minister Jaiveer Singh would be contesting from Barauli seat.
Muslim face of western UP Rashid Masood, who left SP and joined Congress, would also be in the fray in the sixth phase, whereas his nephew Imran Masood would be contesting from Nakud seat in Saharanpur.
The sixth phase would also test the impact of appeal made by Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Maulana Bukhari, whose son-in-law Umar Ali would be contesting from Behad seat in Saharanpur on SP ticket.
Former minister Rajpal Tyagi, who joined SP after being expelled from BSP by party supremo Mayawati, would be trying his luck from Moradnagar seat in Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi