Notification for sixth phase of UP polls issued
Lucknow: Notification for the sixth phase of Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections was on Thursday issued with which the nomination process also commenced.
The sixth phase would cover Assembly seats in the bastion of RLD-- western UP, besides testing the fate of several stalwarts, including cabinet ministers Ramveer Upadhyaya, Jaiveer Singh, deputy leader of BJP Hukkum Singh, and Rajveer
Singh, son of former Chief Minister Kalyan Singh.
Polling for the sixth phase of elections covering 68 seats spread over Saharanpur, Prabuddha Nagar, Muzaffarnagar, Meerut, Bagpath, Ghaziabad, Panchsheel Nagar, Gautam Buddha Bagar, Bulandshahar, Aligarh, Hathras, Mathura and Agra
districts would be held on February 28.
"More than 2.11 crore voters are expected to cast their votes at 21,317 polling booths where 23,448 electronic voting machines would be used," Election Commission sources said.
In the sixth phase, polling would be held in the western UP, considered to be stronghold of RLD. To give a youthful look to the party, RLD chief Ajit Singh has fielded his son and MP Jayant Chaudhary from Manth in Mathura.
Though cabinet minister Ramveer Upadhyaya would be contesting from Sikandrarau seat in Hathras, his prestige would also be at stake on Sadabad and Dibai seats from where his brother-in-law Satyendra Sharma and brother Vinod
Upadhyaya are in fray.
Ramveer is pitched against Rajveer Singh, son of Kalyan Singh, who commands respect of Lodha votes in the region.
Another cabinet minister Jaiveer Singh would be contesting from Barauli seat.
Muslim face of western UP Rashid Masood, who left SP and joined Congress, would also be in the fray in the sixth phase, whereas his nephew Imran Masood would be contesting from Nakud seat in Saharanpur.
The sixth phase would also test the impact of appeal made by Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Maulana Bukhari, whose son-in-law Umar Ali would be contesting from Behad seat in Saharanpur on SP ticket.
Former minister Rajpal Tyagi, who joined SP after being expelled from BSP by party supremo Mayawati, would be trying his luck from Moradnagar seat in Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’