Now, 178 decibel bicycle horn
London: In a rather extreme solution to road safety, an inventor has come up with a bicycle horn that would be impossible for drivers to ignore.
The horn runs off a scuba diving air cylinder and emits 178 decibels, the same as a Concorde jet taking off.
Keen cyclist Yannick Read designed The Hornster after repeatedly getting cut-up by car and lorry drivers.
The 41-year-old carried out extensive modifications to a Dutch town bike, fitting an “Airchime KH3A” triple air horn taken from an American locomotive.
The horn runs off a scuba diving air cylinder and emits a staggering 178 decibels.
An F14 fighter jet, in comparison, is 130db while the deafening roar of concorde landing is a mere 119db.
It is so loud than when riding the bike Yannick has to wear ear defenders as he terrifies pedestrians and other road-goers.
Yannick, from London, developed The Hornster with the Environmental Transport Association to highlight the dangers cyclists face on city roads.
It is claimed trucks are involved in over half of cyclist fatalities which occur in London.
“In all cities there is a problem with lorries which don’t look out for cyclists so we thought we would get our own back on them with The Hornster,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
“The same quietness that makes bicycles such a civilised way of getting around makes them vulnerable and The Hornster is a wake-up call for drivers who don’t pay attention to bikes,” he added.
The Hornster is now for sale for the shocking price of 4,995 pounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video