Now, a robot that lets web users feel physical contact!
London: Good news for Internet buffs! You
will now be able to reach out and hug one another, as Japanese
scientists have created a new wearable robot which they claim
creates the sensation of physical contact.
The `iFeel-IM` robotic device simulates sensations
such as heart beats, hugging, stomach butterflies and spine
tingles among those wearing it, according to the scientists.
Lead scientist Prof Dzmitry Tsetserukou of Toyohashi
University of Technology in Japan, said the iFeel-IM robotic
device was designed to add a human touch to the ethereal world
"We are steeped in computer-mediated communication --
SMS, e-mail, Twitter, Instant Messaging, 3-D virtual worlds --
but many people don`t connect emotionally. I am looking to
create a deep immersive experience, not just a vibration in
your shirt triggered by SMS. Emotion`s what give communication
life," `The Daily Telegraph` quoted him as saying.
The result of five years of research, the new device
-- whose name stands for I Feel Therefore I Am -- consists of
a collection of sensors, motors, vibrators and speakers woven
into a series of straps.
Software created by Alena Neviarouskaya, a
researcher at University of Tokyo, decodes emotional messages
embedded in written text, triggering the appropriate touch
response within the robot, say the scientists.
The device is capable of distinguishing nine emotions
including joy, fear, interest, guilt and anger with 90 per
cent accuracy resulting in corresponding physical sensations
such as squeezes and increased warmth in the user, they say.
The robotic creation was among a string of futuristic
interactive devices showcased at the first two-day Augmented
Human International Conference held in the French ski resort
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced