Now, Beni Prasad jumps the EC line on quota
Farukkhabad (UP)/New Delhi: After Salman Khurshid, another senior Congress leader and Union Minister for Steel Beni Prasad Verma has fuelled the minority quota war by promising reservation for Muslims if his party seizes power after the Assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh.
Addressing a political rally in Kayamganj Assembly constituency in Farrukhabad district on Wednesday night, Verma said, “We will make sure that enhanced reservation is given to backwards and the minorities if the Congress party comes to power in Uttar Pradesh.”
"If the EC wants, it can now issue a notice to me," Verma said in
the presence of Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh and
Union Law Minister Khurshid.
The Steel Minister said that Muslims have not got their dues and the erstwhile non-Congress governments in the state have done nothing for their betterment.
The Election Commission on Thursday began examining if Verma`s
remarks were violative of the model code of conduct.
"We are in possession of the CD of the minister`s speech.
The Election Commission is examining the matter," said an EC
official in Delhi.
Meanwhile, the Congress made a public disapproval of Verma`s remarks.
"Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi had three
four days back very clearly said that we function under
democracy and that the language of our political discourse
should be restrained and we should definitely respect
Constitutional bodies. This statement given by our party general secretary is applicable to me, to Beni Prasad Verma, Salman Khurshid and all of us," Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni
told reporters in Delhi.
Reacting to the controversy, CPI leader D Raja also said, “This shows Congress’ desperation to win Assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh.”
BJP said the one-upmanship among Congress leaders for
appeasement and vote-bank politics was "very regrettable" and
asked the Election Commission to take appropriate action on
UPA ally Trinamool Congress jointed the opposition attack
on Verma and complained to the EC, demanding he be barred from
campaigning in UP.
Trinamool alleged a "political conspiracy" has been
hatched in an "attempt to befool Muslims".
However, at the peak of this controversy, Verma had denied violating the model code of conduct.
“I just said that Muslims have always been deprived of their rights and therefore we need to give them enhanced reservation,” he told a news channel, adding, “If the EC wants to serve me a notice , I will reply to it.”
The fresh controversy over minority quota erupted a day after the poll panel decided not to take further action against Law Minister Salman Khurshid for his alleged Muslim quota remarks.
The EC decided to close the case after the minister’s "change" of position and regret.
"Based on the minister`s clear change of position as conveyed directly to the Commission, it has been decided not to take any further action in the matter," the Commission said in a statement.
To avoid a repeat of such a situation, the Commission has, however, advised and cautioned all contending parties and those campaigning in elections, particularly those persons holding public offices, to be extremely careful in future.
Khurshid had earlier written to Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi, expressing regret over his comments which were seen as "defiance" of the poll body and led to complaint against him to President Pratibha Patil.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now