Now, Digvijay Singh rakes up President rule issue
New Delhi: After Sriprakash Jaiswal,
another Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Friday suggested that
the possibility of President`s rule in Uttar Pradesh in face of a hung assembly cannot be ruled out altogether.
"Every political party if it has majority has the right
to form government. If two, three or even 14 parties or 16
parties can together notch up a majority they have a right.
"And if no party is in a position to make a government
without any alliance as had happened in 2002. No party was in
a position to form a government for some months. Then what is
the option?" Singh told reporters.
He also said that the party will stake claim to form the
government if it got majority or even became the single
"If we get majority or became the single largest party,
then we will stake claim to form government in UP," Singh
He was speaking to journalists after meeting Home
Minister P Chidambaram here. The Congress has so far been
maintaining that it will have no truck with BSP, SP or BJP in
forming government after elections.
Asked about the Election Commission`s notice to the three
union ministers for violations of model code of conduct during
UP elections, the senior Congress leader said there is a need
be clear on this that whether to talk of election is violation
of model code of conduct or not.
"If saying what is mentioned in manifesto is violation of
model code of conduct, we have violated it otherwise did not
do it," he said.
At the AICC, party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said nobody
said that President rule would be imposed if Congress did not
come to power and cited the clean chit in this matter by the
Election Commission to Union Minister Jaiswal as a vindication
of his arguments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray