NRIs not eligible for interest sops on home loans
Mumbai: The Reserve Bank Tuesday said non-resident Indians would not be eligible for incentives on interest on home loans of up to Rs 10 lakh.
Banks provide 1 percent interest subsidy for home loans of up to Rs 10 lakh.
"Housing loans extended to NRIs for construction of farm houses, and to staff members of the banks are not eligible for subsidy under the scheme," it said in a notification.
The central bank said the notification follows the recent clarifications issued by the government.
The government, in the Budget of 2009-10, announced a scheme of 1 percent interest subvention in respect of individual housing loans up to Rs 10 lakh, provided the cost of unit does not exceed Rs 20 lakh.
The scheme was valid till September 30, 2010, with an initial allocation of Rs 1,000 crore. During the last Budget, the scheme was extended till March 31, 2011, with an additional provision of Rs 700 crore.
Further, RBI directed the banks to use their own funds for upfront credit of subsidy under the scheme till government makes reimbursement and added that loans sanctioned prior to October 1, 2009 would not qualify for reimbursement under it.
"While calculating the interest subsidy, each disbursement may be treated as a separate loan and for each disbursement, subsidy claim may be made for twelve instalments," RBI said.
The apex bank also asked all the lenders to submit their claims on a monthly basis in respect of all housing loans eligible for subsidy under the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre