NTPC may move SC on RIL gas row this week
New Delhi: State-run power producer NTPC is
expected to move the Supreme Court this week to get Reliance
Industries to execute a contract for gas supply, even as the
Mukesh Ambani-run firm is challenging an identical prayer of
Anil Ambani group firm RNRL.
NTPC will file a Special Leave Petition before the apex
court this week, a source familiar with the development said.
Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium is believed to have
advised the government to find a solution to the gas supply
row, saying "government cannot destroy the case of NTPC or any
A ministerial group had approved USD 4.2 per mmBtu as the
value of gas from RIL`s KG-D6 fields, but before that the
company had won a contract to supply 12 million cubic metres
of gas per day to NTPC`s Kawas and Gandhar projects with a bid
of USD 2.34 per mmBtu in 2004.
The government has separately filed a petition in the
Ambani brothers` gas dispute, saying it alone had the right to
approve gas price.
To buttress its argument in its legal battle with NTPC
before the Bombay High Court, RIL had quoted the the
ministerial group`s decision saying official nod was needed
for pricing gas.
The Ambani row pertains to Anil Ambani group firm RNRL
demanding gas from RIL at a price of USD 2.34 per mmBtu - the
price discovered through the NTPC bid - but here-again RIL has
been maintaining that the price needs government approval.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!