Obama blasts game-playing Romney for ‘scaring’ auto workers
Washington: President Barack Obama has blasted Republican presidential rival Mitt Romney on his statements about Chrysler outsourcing Jeep production to China, saying that the former governor was trying to ‘scare’ voters.
“You don’t scare hard-working Americans just to scare up some votes. That’s not what being president is all about. That’s not leadership," Obama said during a campaign event.
"I know, you know, we’re close to the election, but this isn’t a game. These are people’s jobs, these are people’s lives,” Obama said.
“You’ve got folks who work at a Jeep plant who have been calling their employers, worried, asking is it true, are our jobs being shipped the China?" Politico quoted Obama, as saying.
“And the reason they`re been getting these calls is that Gov. Romney is running an ad that says so. It’s not true. Everybody knows its not true. The car companies themselves have been telling Gov. Romney to knock it off,” he added.
According to the report, the dispute erupted after Romney in a new radio ad claimed that Obama sold Chrysler to the Italians, who are going to ship US jobs to China.
While Chrysler is majority-owned by the Italian automaker Fiat, the company vehemently denied that they are moving any U.S.-based production to China. They are considering opening a new production line in China, however, the report said.
“GM said creating jobs in the United States should be a source of bipartisan pride. And I understand that Gov. Romney had a tough time in Ohio because he was against saving the auto industry,” Obama said.
“Had trouble along the way because he was on video tape saying the words ‘Let Detroit go bankrupt,’” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says