Obama blasts game-playing Romney for ‘scaring’ auto workers
Washington: President Barack Obama has blasted Republican presidential rival Mitt Romney on his statements about Chrysler outsourcing Jeep production to China, saying that the former governor was trying to ‘scare’ voters.
“You don’t scare hard-working Americans just to scare up some votes. That’s not what being president is all about. That’s not leadership," Obama said during a campaign event.
"I know, you know, we’re close to the election, but this isn’t a game. These are people’s jobs, these are people’s lives,” Obama said.
“You’ve got folks who work at a Jeep plant who have been calling their employers, worried, asking is it true, are our jobs being shipped the China?" Politico quoted Obama, as saying.
“And the reason they`re been getting these calls is that Gov. Romney is running an ad that says so. It’s not true. Everybody knows its not true. The car companies themselves have been telling Gov. Romney to knock it off,” he added.
According to the report, the dispute erupted after Romney in a new radio ad claimed that Obama sold Chrysler to the Italians, who are going to ship US jobs to China.
While Chrysler is majority-owned by the Italian automaker Fiat, the company vehemently denied that they are moving any U.S.-based production to China. They are considering opening a new production line in China, however, the report said.
“GM said creating jobs in the United States should be a source of bipartisan pride. And I understand that Gov. Romney had a tough time in Ohio because he was against saving the auto industry,” Obama said.
“Had trouble along the way because he was on video tape saying the words ‘Let Detroit go bankrupt,’” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly