Obama created great hope in Muslim world: Saudi King
Washington: Noting that the US presidency of Barack Obama has created great hope in the Islamic world, the Saudi King Abdullah told a top US official that he should restore America`s credibility in the Muslim countries, according to a leaked State Department cable by WikiLeaks.
This was communicated personally by the King, to John Brennan, Obama`s counter terrorism advisor, when the latter went to meet him in March 2009 and delivered a personal letter of the US President to the Saudi King.
"Thank God for bringing Obama to the Presidency," the King answered, which has created "great hope" in the Muslim world.
"May God grant him strength and patience, Abdullah continued, May God protect him. I`m concerned about his personal safety. America and the world need such a President," the Saudi King said according to the State Department cable.
Abdullah said his one piece of advice was that restoring US credibility in the world was critically important. Brennan responded that this was an important issue for Obama as well.
"Brennan said that under President Obama we will restore our credibility," the cable said.
During the meeting, Abdullah said "as a friend" that "it was a mistake" to limit access of Saudi citizens to the US, since "this damages bilateral relations and the image of the US in Saudi Arabia”.
The King noted there were 60,000 Saudi students abroad, about one third of whom were in the US, and "others would have gone" but for the difficulties in gaining access to the US.
According to the cable, the King expressed hope the US would review its Iran policy and "come to the right conclusion”.
Brennan responded that Obama was personally reviewing US Iran policy and wanted to hear the King`s thoughts.
"Abdullah asserted that Iran is trying to set up Hezbollah-like organisations in African countries, observing that the Iranians don`t think they are doing anything wrong and don`t recognise their mistakes.”
"I said (to Mottaki) that`s your problem," recounted the King, the cable said.
"Abdullah said he would favour Rafsanjani in an Iranian election, were he to run.
He described Iran not as "a neighbour one wants to see," but as "a neighbour one wants to avoid”. He said the Iranians "launch missiles with the hope of putting fear in people and the world."
“A solution to the Arab/Israeli conflict would be a great achievement, the King said, but Iran would find other ways to cause trouble," it said.
"Iran`s goal is to cause problems," he continued, "There is no doubt something unstable about them. He described Iran as "adventurous in the negative sense," and declared "May God prevent us from falling victim to their evil."
Mottaki had tendered an invitation to visit Iran, but Abdullah said he replied, "All I want is for you to spare us your evil."
Summarising his history with Iran, Abdullah concluded: "We have had correct relations over the years, but the bottom line is that they cannot be trusted", the cable said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today
- There was no intention to show disrespect to Stalin or DMK, clarifies Jayalalithaa