Obama family starts vacation on Martha`s Vineyard
Massachusetts: Hurricane Bill blew out in time for the Obama family to blow in to Martha`s
Vineyard for the president`s first vacation since taking office.
The first family began their vacation Sunday just hours
after the National Hurricane Center lifted a tropical storm
warning that had included the small island off the
Massachusetts coast where the Obamas plan a weeklong break.
The hurricane forced the president to delay his departure
from Andrews Air Force Base by a few hours to midafternoon.
During the flight from Washington to the Coast Guard
station at Otis Air Base on Cape Cod, White House spokesman
Bill Burton conveyed a message from Obama, who boarded Air
Force One in khakis and without jacket or tie, to the
reporters traveling with him. The Obama then were to take a
helicopter across the water to Martha`s Vineyard.
"He wants you to relax and have a good time. Take some
walks on the beaches. Nobody`s looking to make any news,"
Burton told reporters on the plane.
Some Obama friends, including White House adviser Valerie
Jarrett and Chicago physician Eric Whitaker, joined the family
on the island. The president has no official events scheduled
in the week ahead. Obama`s sister, Maya, and her husband also
"You can bet there`s going to be some golf playing. Maybe
a little bit swimming," Burton said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in Mumbai, but BJP gains lead in Pune, Nashik