Obama gets sneak-peek into India`s citizen engagement programmes
Mumbai: From hearing about programmes on transparency and accountability in governance to those on education, the Right to Information (RTI) Act and the Unique Identification Number project, US President Barack Obama Sunday got a sneak peek into various initiatives by NGOs here for better governance.
One of the three events at the St. Xavier`s College, the Open Government and Citizen Engagement programme saw 10 organisations working on various issues participate.
Tonusree Basu of the New Delhi-basesd PRS Legislative Research, which works on governance and accountability and had Obama come and visit their stand, said: "There were about 10 booths by various organisations and the president visited each of them and spent about three-four minutes each."
"He interacted with representatives of the organisations and listened to the kind of work that each one does," she added.
Besides PRS, NGO Pratham which works on education, Association for Democratic Reforms and The Hunger Project participated in the programme. The ministry of Panchayati Raj and Rural Development also took part in it.
The president also interacted with villagers in Ajmer, Rajasthan through video-conference link. He later interacted with college students as well as took questions.
After Mumbai, Obama proceeded to Delhi for the second leg of his Nov 6-9 India visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!