Obama gets sneak-peek into India`s citizen engagement programmes
Mumbai: From hearing about programmes on transparency and accountability in governance to those on education, the Right to Information (RTI) Act and the Unique Identification Number project, US President Barack Obama Sunday got a sneak peek into various initiatives by NGOs here for better governance.
One of the three events at the St. Xavier`s College, the Open Government and Citizen Engagement programme saw 10 organisations working on various issues participate.
Tonusree Basu of the New Delhi-basesd PRS Legislative Research, which works on governance and accountability and had Obama come and visit their stand, said: "There were about 10 booths by various organisations and the president visited each of them and spent about three-four minutes each."
"He interacted with representatives of the organisations and listened to the kind of work that each one does," she added.
Besides PRS, NGO Pratham which works on education, Association for Democratic Reforms and The Hunger Project participated in the programme. The ministry of Panchayati Raj and Rural Development also took part in it.
The president also interacted with villagers in Ajmer, Rajasthan through video-conference link. He later interacted with college students as well as took questions.
After Mumbai, Obama proceeded to Delhi for the second leg of his Nov 6-9 India visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender