Obama gets sneak-peek into India`s citizen engagement programmes
Mumbai: From hearing about programmes on transparency and accountability in governance to those on education, the Right to Information (RTI) Act and the Unique Identification Number project, US President Barack Obama Sunday got a sneak peek into various initiatives by NGOs here for better governance.
One of the three events at the St. Xavier`s College, the Open Government and Citizen Engagement programme saw 10 organisations working on various issues participate.
Tonusree Basu of the New Delhi-basesd PRS Legislative Research, which works on governance and accountability and had Obama come and visit their stand, said: "There were about 10 booths by various organisations and the president visited each of them and spent about three-four minutes each."
"He interacted with representatives of the organisations and listened to the kind of work that each one does," she added.
Besides PRS, NGO Pratham which works on education, Association for Democratic Reforms and The Hunger Project participated in the programme. The ministry of Panchayati Raj and Rural Development also took part in it.
The president also interacted with villagers in Ajmer, Rajasthan through video-conference link. He later interacted with college students as well as took questions.
After Mumbai, Obama proceeded to Delhi for the second leg of his Nov 6-9 India visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why