Obama has no scheduled visit to Pakistan: Report
Washington: The White House rowed back on Sunday on earlier plans for US President Barack Obama to visit Pakistan this year, as the diplomatic fallout from the killing of Osama bin Laden intensified.
Last October, Obama committed himself to visiting Pakistan in 2011, but those plans now appear to be in flux as relations become increasingly strained by suspicions over who in Islamabad knew what about bin Laden`s whereabouts.
"There is not a visit on his schedule at this point to go to Pakistan," White House National Security Advisor Tom Donilon told NBC`s `Meet The Press` programme.
Obama has said bin Laden, who was killed by US commandos in a garrison town just two-hour drive from Islamabad, must have had "some sort of support network" but it was not clear if the Pakistani government was involved.
For a decade, Islamabad has been America`s wary Afghan war ally, despite widespread public opposition and militant bomb attacks across the nuclear-armed country that have killed several thousand people.
Pakistan has never been fully trusted by either Kabul or Washington, which accuse its powerful military of fostering the Afghan Taliban it spawned during the 1980s resistance to the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!