New Delhi: Amid criticism here that the US
did not convey to India specific information on David Headley,
President Barack Obama Monday shared with Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh results of an ongoing probe into why US
intelligence agencies failed to connect the LeT terrorist to
the Mumbai attacks.
During their meeting at the Hyderabad House here,
Obama broached the topic of Headley, the LeT terrorist who
pleaded guilty to plotting the Mumbai attacks, and explained
to Singh some details of the probe.
"The President shared some of the results of that
review with Prime Minister Singh... What I think we found is
the United States had pieces of information that came in about
David Headley," US Deputy National Adviser Ben Rhodes told the
American media here after the meeting.
"They were not the kinds of information we were able
to connect, for instance, to the plotting in Mumbai," he said.
Rhodes said the US government had provided general
information to India about the attacks before the 26/11
carnage, but that the data was not specific.
The details of the probe by the Director for National
Intelligence has not been made public yet and senior White
House officials said Obama first wanted to brief Singh on the
Meanwhile, a report in The Washington Post said the
probe shows US officials had information building up on
Headley`s links with militants over seven years, but did not
question him or put him on any watch list.
50-year-old Headley had pleaded guilty to plotting the
Mumbai attacks under a deal with the US investigators that
will allow him to escape death penalty.
There had been widespread criticism in India that the
US did not share any specific input about Headley`s anti-India
plans. Union Home Secretary G K Pillai had also said last
month that the Home Ministry was "disappointed" that the US
did not provide specific information about Headley even though
he travelled here freely after the terror strikes.