Obama to unveil trade policy agenda ahead of G20 summit
Washington: US President Barack Obama is to unveil his administration`s trade policy agenda ahead of a meeting of leaders of the Group of 20 developed and emerging nations, his top trade envoy said.
Obama will elaborate on his trade policy before the G20 summit to be held September 24-25 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US Trade Representative (USTR) Ron Kirk told reporters.
"I will not prejudge what the President might do," Kirk said when asked to give a glimpse of Obama`s expected trade statement.
"I think it would be more an illumination of how this President, this administration sees trade as in the integral part our overall economic strategy," he said.
Kirk said that Obama had already laid a broad
framework for US trade policy but added, "I do think the
President will have more to say about the role trade
will play in our overall economic recovery sometime between
now and the G20 summit."
Since taking office in January, Obama has not made
any major trade policy decisions, including pushing ahead with
legislative steps to implement free trade agreements with key
partners that had already been signed.
His administration is still trying to finalize a
trade pact with Panama and resolve outstanding issues over
similar long-delayed pacts with Colombia and South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid