Obama win opens historic chance for peace: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday congratulated US President Barack Obama on his re-election and personally committed to a "rewarding" association to build further on the global strategic partnership the two nations have built over the last four years, and for world peace and progress.
The prime minister, in a message, said the mandate for Obama to lead the US for four more years gave him a historic opportunity to continue to work for both the American people and for global peace and progress at "an admittedly difficult juncture" for the US and the world at large.
"It gives me great pleasure to convey to you my warmest congratulations on your re-election as the president of the US," he said in the message.
"Your mandate gives you a historic opportunity to continue to work for the welfare of the American people as also for global peace and progress at an admittedly difficult juncture, not just for the US, but indeed for the world at large," Manmohan Singh said.
The prime minister said: "The renewed confidence that the people of your great country have reposed in you is as much a tribute to your qualities of head and heart as it is an indication of the faith that the American people have in your leadership."
He said over the last four years, consistent with the vision of a global strategic partnership between India and the US, the ties between the two democracies have seen sustained growth.
"We have not only advanced cooperation across the full spectrum of our bilateral relationship, but also deepened our engagement in the pursuit of global peace, stability and prosperity," the prime minister said.
Expressing his "personally valued" friendship with Obama, Manmohan Singh said he looked forward to continuing the rewarding association in order to build further on the enduring foundations of the shared values and the accomplishments of the past four years.
"I have no doubt that there is much more we can do together to further strengthen the India-US partnership and thereby advance peace and stability, expand mutual economic opportunities, harness the potential of science and technology, innovation and higher education, and empower our people to address global challenges," he added.
Manmohan Singh said his wife Gurcharan Kaur joined him in wishing Obama and Michelle, as well as their daughters Malia and Sasha, "good health, success and happiness as you prepare for a new term in office."
Obama defeated his Republican challenger Mitt Romney in a hard fought election Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?