Obamas check out Nano
Mumbai: President Barack Obama, who heads the world`s richest economy, Sunday checked out the world`s cheapest car -- Nano.
No sooner the powerful US couple was introduced to Ratan Tata, who heads the USD 72 billion conglomerate, President Obama told the first lady Michelle that this is the person who created the USD 2,500 wonder car.
Eyewitnesses said that Michelle immediately expressed the desire to see the car that revolutionised the auto industry and put India prominently on the global map.
After the discussion last evening, Tata immediately organised a gleaming Nano along with a chauffeur, right at the porch of luxurious Taj Mahal Palace hotel in front of Gateway of India, where Obama and entourage was camping since yesterday.
The couple stepped out in the morning to have a good look at the car, with Michelle even sitting in the small Nano and admiring the engineering marvel.
When contacted, a Tata spokesperson confirmed. "Yes, we showcased the Nano at the Taj Mahal hotel."
After years of hard work, Tata fulfilled his commitment to bring the world`s cheapest car on road for Rs one lakh last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway