OECD region jobless rate climbs to 8.6% in August
Paris/New Delhi: Reflecting a strained labour market even as signs of economic recovery are rising, the unemployment rate in the OECD region rose to 8.6 per cent in August.
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and
Development (OECD) -- a grouping of nations mainly rich ones
-- has seen the jobless rate rise marginally in August from
the previous month.
"The unemployment rate for the OECD area was 8.6 per cent
in August 2009, 0.1 percentage point higher than the previous
month and 2.3 percentage points higher than a year earlier,"
the OECD said in a statement today.
Even as the global economy is on the revival path, the
employment scenario continues to look grim as many companies
are still cutting jobs to bring down costs.
Euro zone -- the 16 nations that share the common
currency euro -- Japan and the US are also part of the OECD.
The Euro zone`s jobless rate shot up to a ten-year high
of 9.6 per cent in August while that of the US spiralled to a
26-year-high of 9.8 per cent in September.
However, in the case of Japan, the labour market strains
seem to be easing, as that country`s unemployment rate fell
marginally to 5.5 per cent in August.
In signs that economic recovery is round the corner, the
American GDP shrank less than expected at 0.7 in the June
quarter, while Japan, Germany and France have exited
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why