Oil falls below USD 70 after surging overnight
Washington: Oil prices fell below $70 a barrel Thursday after surging overnight on signs U.S. gasoline demand may be improving. Weaker equity markets and gains by the dollar helped push down oil prices.
By midday in Europe, benchmark crude for November delivery was down 78 cents at $69.83 in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
The contract jumped $3.90 to settle at $70.61 on Wednesday after the Energy Information Administration said U.S. gasoline stockpiles unexpectedly dropped 1.6 million barrels last week from the previous week.
Analysts had expected a jump of 1.2 million barrels, according to a survey by Platts, the energy information arm of McGraw-Hill Cos.
The EIA also said demand for gasoline over the four weeks ended Sept. 25 was 5.4 percent higher than last year.
"Gasoline demand continues to improve," Barclays Capital said in a report. "We see the global market adjustment as remaining on track for a slow and steady soft landing for both prices and quantities."
Barclays said it expects crude to average $76 a barrel in the fourth quarter and $85 next year.
Other inventory data was less encouraging. Crude supplies grew more than expected last week, according to the government report, and they have now swelled to 11.4 percent above what they were last year.
Analysts said a multitude of U.S. economic data to be released Thursday and Friday — weekly jobless claims, pending home sales, construction spending, auto sales and non-farm payroll data, among others — could push and pull on prices.
"We are not ready to have a conviction in any trends," said Olivier Jakob of Petromatrix in Switzerland. "Further violent moves can be expected but the recent ranges are likely to remain respected."
In other Nymex trading, gasoline for November delivery fell 1.97 cents to $1.7319 a gallon, and heating oil lost 2.23 cents to $1.8101 a gallon. Natural gas retreated 7.2 cents to $4.769 per 1,000 cubic feet.
In London, Brent crude fell 77 cents to $68.30 on the ICE Futures exchange.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA