Olympian Singh blames incompetent officials behind hockey crisis
Jamshedpur: Expressing concern over the
prevailing situation in Indian hockey, former Olympian
Harbhajan Singh today blamed few incompetent officials for the
present crisis that the national game is finding itself in.
"These officials hardly had anything to do with sports
activities but grabbed the top posts to fulfill their own
interests," Singh said.
Singh, the first Indian to have represented the country
in two sports disciplines (handball and basketball) at
international meets including in the 1980 Moscow Olympics
(Basketball), also alleged that some of the officials had
conspired against former Hockey India (HI) President A K
Mattoo to recently oust him.
"Everything is not well in Hockey India."
He also wondered as what prompted Suresh Kalmadi, the
President of Indian Olympics Association (IOA) to intervene
when Mattoo was holding talks with hockey players over the
issue of their outstanding dues.
Singh, who was the vice-captain of Indian handball team
at the 2nd Asian handball championship held at Nanking, China
in 1979, said that the prestige of the country is at stake
with the next month`s Hockey World Cup in Delhi.
He suggested that the hockey officials as well as IOA
must learn something from IPL commisssioner Lalit Modi, who
has been organising cricket championships with overwhelming
success and within the stipulated timeframe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh