Olympic champs China keep world 10m synchro title
Rome: Olympic champions Chen Ruolin and Wang Xin won the 10m synchronised platform title at the World Championships.
Their victory continued China`s domination of this event with a comprehensive success that never looked in doubt.
The real interest came in the battle for the minor medals with Americans Mary Beth Dunnichay and Haley Ishimatsu taking silver and Leong Mun Yee and Pandelela Pamg of Malaysia in bronze -- winning their country`s first ever world diving medal.
Chen and Wang were a cut above the rest and finished with a score of 369.18, almost 45 points clear of the field.
Their victory means that Chen is now Olympic, world and Asian Games champion in this discipline.
Chen, who is Olympic champion in the individual 10m event, was the reigning champion in this event but with former partner Tong Jia.
However, she was beaten by Mexico`s Paola Espinosa in Saturday`s individual final as she finished worlds runner-up for the second time in a row -- in 2007 it was Wang who beat her to the gold.
The Chinese pair were simply too good for the rest and while they stretched their lead from start to finish, the competition raged behind them.
Four pairs battled it out for the two remaining medals with Australians Briony Cole and Melissa Wu and Canadian duo Meaghan Benfeito and Roseline Filion in contention.
Australia paid for a poor fourth dive that dropped them from second to fifth while the Americans moved steadily up, gaining a place in each of the last two rounds.
Canada were in third going into the final round but missed out on a medal by just 0.27 points to the Malaysians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH