Olympic champs China keep world 10m synchro title
Rome: Olympic champions Chen Ruolin and Wang Xin won the 10m synchronised platform title at the World Championships.
Their victory continued China`s domination of this event with a comprehensive success that never looked in doubt.
The real interest came in the battle for the minor medals with Americans Mary Beth Dunnichay and Haley Ishimatsu taking silver and Leong Mun Yee and Pandelela Pamg of Malaysia in bronze -- winning their country`s first ever world diving medal.
Chen and Wang were a cut above the rest and finished with a score of 369.18, almost 45 points clear of the field.
Their victory means that Chen is now Olympic, world and Asian Games champion in this discipline.
Chen, who is Olympic champion in the individual 10m event, was the reigning champion in this event but with former partner Tong Jia.
However, she was beaten by Mexico`s Paola Espinosa in Saturday`s individual final as she finished worlds runner-up for the second time in a row -- in 2007 it was Wang who beat her to the gold.
The Chinese pair were simply too good for the rest and while they stretched their lead from start to finish, the competition raged behind them.
Four pairs battled it out for the two remaining medals with Australians Briony Cole and Melissa Wu and Canadian duo Meaghan Benfeito and Roseline Filion in contention.
Australia paid for a poor fourth dive that dropped them from second to fifth while the Americans moved steadily up, gaining a place in each of the last two rounds.
Canada were in third going into the final round but missed out on a medal by just 0.27 points to the Malaysians.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed