Olympics chief Rogge courts S. Africa bid for 2020
Durban: Olympics chief Jacques Rogge gave his stamp of approval to a bid by South Africa for the 2020 Games.
"The country is ready," the International Olympic Committee president told a press conference.
"The 2010 World Cup showed that South Africa was ready to organise the Olympic Games. It`s up to them now to decide."
Rogge`s comments come just weeks after the South Africa government appeared to close the door on a potential bid by a city like Durban for 2020, preferring instead to invest in basic infrastructure.
"The decision taken by cabinet is final," chief government spokesman Jimmy Manyi insisted on May 26.
The government wanted to improve basic services like water and electricity and rein in rampant joblessness, which have sparked major protests in angry poor communities in recent years.
Rogge however said he had come away from talks with South African President Jacob Zuma during the IOC`s congress here this week with a feeling that the Olympics could still be on the agenda.
The Belgian said he had sensed "a strong desire (from South Africa) for a future bid, in 2020 or 2024".
Rogge`s assertion is sure to reopen a debate for 2020 with South Africa and other potential bidders having until September 1 to make a decision on whether to take the plunge.
Japan finds itself in the same boat as South Africa in terms of wavering about whether to put Tokyo`s hat in the ring for 2020.
Tokyo`s problem is the designation of another Asian venue, South Korea`s Pyeongchang, as host for the 2018 Winter Olympics by the IOC here on Wednesday.
Commenting on Tokyo`s geographical handicap Rogge said that "you have to separate deliberations on the Winter and Summer Games", although not all IOC voters would agree with him.
Japanese Olympic Committee president Tsunekazu Takeda was keeping his cards close to his chest about Tokyo, thanking the IOC for their support in the wake of the tsunami-quake disaster that struck the country in March.
He said an eventual Olympic Games in Japan "would act as a catalyst to help our people overcome the obstacles they have experienced".
Other potential bidders for 2020 are Istanbul and Madrid, one of the cities which lost out to Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Games at the IOC vote in Copenhagen in October 2009.
With less than two months to go before the deadline to lodge a bid the only confirmed candidate for 2020 is Rome.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark