Once a flower-seller, Gite enters Maha Assembly
Nashik: From selling flowers and repairing
cycles to entering Maharashtra Assembly, Vasant Gite has come
a long way in life.
Gite, the MNS nominee from Nashik Central constituency,
emerged victorious in the October 13 polls after defeating
Public Healths Minister Shobha Bacchav of the Congress by a
comfortable margin of 30,000 votes.
Gite, whose father was a farm-labourer and mother worked
in a dispensary, studied up to Class X. To supplement family`s
income, he opened a small flower-selling shop here and later
operated a cycle-repairing outlet.
Apart from this, he involved himself in social service
and sports activities before plunging into politics.
In 1986, Gite opened Shiv Sena`s branch in this North
Maharashtra city. He won Nashik Municipal Corporation (NMC)
polls in 1992 and 1997. In 1997, he became Mayor. Then, he
fought Maharashtra Legislative Council polls, but tasted
After Raj Thackeray left Shiv Sena to float MNS in 2006,
Gite joined the party and became its general secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday