One dies, 65 hurt as farmers go on rampage in Punjab
Chandigarh: One person was killed and around
65 others, including 40 policemen, were injured as farmers,
protesting unbundling of the Punjab State Electricity Board,
went on a rampage here on Tuesday, damaging vehicles and stoning
The farmers, under the auspices of Bharti Kisan Union
(Ekta Ugrahan group), fought pitched battles with police in
the city protesting Badal government`s decision to split PSEB
into separate power generation, transmission and distribution
At a traffic rotary near a cricket stadium, agitating
farmers damaged some 24 government and private vehicles and
stoned police who swung batons and burst tear gas shells to
Some vehicles were also set afire, police said adding
the protesters vandalised sign boards when they were chased
A farmer was killed and nearly 65 others, including 40
policemen and two journalists, were injured in the violence,
SP Madhur Verma said.
IGP S K Jain said the dead, identified as Jagseer Singh,
hailed from Bathinda.
Jain said he was run over by a vehicle of the protesting
farmers after he fell from it.
Farmers, however, alleged he was killed in police action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her