One killed as Maoists attack police jeep in Jharkhand
Ranchi: One person was killed when Maoist guerrillas ambushed a police jeep in Jharkhand`s Latehar district and fired at security personnel, police said on Thursday.
A Special Armed Police (SAP) personnel was shot dead and another injured when their jeep was attacked late Wednesday in Latehar`s Chormunda valley, 145 km from here. The exchange of firing went on for more than one-and-a-half hours.
The SAP personnel were returning to Netarhat when the attack took place, police said.
Maoist guerrillas are active in 18 of Jharkhand`s 24 districts. According to police estimates, nearly 1,500 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'