One killed as Maoists attack police jeep in Jharkhand
Ranchi: One person was killed when Maoist guerrillas ambushed a police jeep in Jharkhand`s Latehar district and fired at security personnel, police said on Thursday.
A Special Armed Police (SAP) personnel was shot dead and another injured when their jeep was attacked late Wednesday in Latehar`s Chormunda valley, 145 km from here. The exchange of firing went on for more than one-and-a-half hours.
The SAP personnel were returning to Netarhat when the attack took place, police said.
Maoist guerrillas are active in 18 of Jharkhand`s 24 districts. According to police estimates, nearly 1,500 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing