One killed as Maoists attack police jeep in Jharkhand
Ranchi: One person was killed when Maoist guerrillas ambushed a police jeep in Jharkhand`s Latehar district and fired at security personnel, police said on Thursday.
A Special Armed Police (SAP) personnel was shot dead and another injured when their jeep was attacked late Wednesday in Latehar`s Chormunda valley, 145 km from here. The exchange of firing went on for more than one-and-a-half hours.
The SAP personnel were returning to Netarhat when the attack took place, police said.
Maoist guerrillas are active in 18 of Jharkhand`s 24 districts. According to police estimates, nearly 1,500 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan