One killed as Maoists attack police jeep in Jharkhand
Ranchi: One person was killed when Maoist guerrillas ambushed a police jeep in Jharkhand`s Latehar district and fired at security personnel, police said on Thursday.
A Special Armed Police (SAP) personnel was shot dead and another injured when their jeep was attacked late Wednesday in Latehar`s Chormunda valley, 145 km from here. The exchange of firing went on for more than one-and-a-half hours.
The SAP personnel were returning to Netarhat when the attack took place, police said.
Maoist guerrillas are active in 18 of Jharkhand`s 24 districts. According to police estimates, nearly 1,500 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday